Monday, January 3, 2011

Week 2 - Day 2




I reluctantly skipped yesterday due to a visit to a friends house which went longer than expected. They live on a 300 acre farm and breed AKC lines of German Shepherds (the perfect beast!!) and invited us to come out and play with the dogs, a snow-mobile they just bought, and get some sledding in. I have never been on a snow mobile, but I am a certified instructor on an ATV. Applying those skills made perfect sense on a SM. We had a blast, but I sort of got a workout because of having to muscle the steering, and digging out of getting stuck... twice... Plus, we were marching up a hill a few times to get to our sledding runs. We had a blast, but now it's time to get back to business. This was my first REAL snow play day since moving to ND back in February.

OK, back to the workout:

My cardio/intervals went good. I'm still trying to find a good apparatus on which to do the intervals. The ski-type machine I think is just a bit too much, so I went back to the elliptical bike type one.

My circuits were a bit off. I increased the weight on my overheads 5# and made it through, but on my lat raises, I tried the same thing and quickly discovered it was too much, so I backed it off 2 1/2# and finished the circuit, but went to muscle failure. I figured that was OK, and would start there on the 2nd circuit. WRONG!! My right shoulder started hurting, so I backed off to my original weight but after 3 reps, was at muscle failure. I stopped at that point and went on to the next exerscize, not wanting to risk injury.

Shoulder seems to be OK now, but I was worried I had strained it. I guess I'm just not quite ready to move up on my lat raises.

I have been doing my workouts in the morning from 7:30-9AM, but now have a dilemma. For the last 2 weeks I have been on an afternoon shift for work, but am going back to a morning shift on Wednesday. So, now its either a 4 -5:30AM workout, or a 4-5:30PM workout. I usually hydrate then wait 1/2 hr before leaving for the gym, so that means a 3:30 AM wake up call. The 5:30PM finish time may interfere with my son's Tae Kwon Do classes, so looks like my day will be starting pretty early from now on. I could go later in the evening, but I feel like I'd be taking too much time away from family. At lease everyone is asleep early in the mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment